Prior to incorporation in 2018, the founders and organizers of Boon conducted preliminary research as a discovery and planning exercise for what became our teacher training funding mission. Our deep research extends far beyond that of a typical major donor and most foundations, which justifies Boon’s objective to be a platform and facilitator for funding teacher training in structured language instruction methods.
Research leads to problem identification, which helps us constantly develop our vision and author our own strategies and solutions. It gives us the insight to identify nuanced problems and explore strategies that lead to our current funding solutions.
Knowledge from research also allows us to challenge our viewpoint, adapt to change, and capitalize on emerging opportunities. It makes Boon’s fundraising/grant making platform more productive. Boon continues to have an ambitious research element to its mission, using our prestigious Education Board to guide us.
NOT BEING EDUCATORS, WE ASKED EXPERTS TO GUIDE OUR INQUIRIES INTO:
- State of reading performance in the United States
- Teacher preparation and professional learning
- Teacher training in alternative reading instruction methods
- The science of reading
- Research and practice into learning processes
- Learning differences and special education
- History and structure of the K-12 education system
- Decision makers in the education system
- Legislation that impacts education
- Policy and advocacy activities
- Longstanding, reoccurring problems in education
- Educational philanthropy
- Role of City, State, and Federal tax dollars in education funding
- Education technology
- Trends in education
And we keep learning all of the time.