WE CAN'T AFFORD THE COST OF FAILURE
Reading is the gateway to all learning, and 21st Century careers require advanced skills in reading, writing, critical thinking, and mathematics. Learning and working are merging.
- We are Behind...US Ranks 15th in Literacy. (U.S. Department of Education, 2013)
- Global Economy. We must overcome our problems with reading instruction and improve our competitive edge. Our way of life depends on it.
- $225 Billion is the cost to the U.S. economy by lost productivity, crime, and loss of tax revenue due to unemployment that stems from illiteracy.
- Catching Up If a student reads poorly at the end of first grade, he or she will be a struggling reader at the end of fourth grade. (Juel,1998)
- Less Likely to Graduate Those same students are 4 times less likely to graduate from high school. (American Education Research, 2011)
- Of 8 Million preschool children, 50% are unprepared when they enter 1st Grade. (Zill and West, 2001)
- 32 Million adults can't read, and 42 million adults read below the 5th Grade level. Reading failure limits their future employment success. (National Assessment Educational Progress, 2013)